Friday, August 8, 2008

Getting out of the "Twilight" zone!!

I feel impressed to discuss the crisis that is facing our nation. You may have heard the occasional teen-aged girl, suburban mom, or confused teen boy talk about the "Twilight" series. While I have not read the books, I feel that, because of the hype, I may as well be a rogue scholar on the subject. I am so disgusted with the books and the problem they have created. For one, I trust the advice of many well read people I know that have comented on the writing as "less than mediocre", which leads me to believe that it is the sheer story that ditracts mothers from their laundry and girls from their schooling. However, it is with the story line that I have my next and largest issue. The idea that a semi-normal girl could fall head-over-heals for a vampire is comparable only to the idea of a 12-year-old girl birthing a centar in a world other than this one. Singlehandedly, Stephany Meyer is destroying the hopes and dreams of young women accross the nation. By reading of a great love between a girl and a vampire, they are being set up for failure. They will not settle for the "average" man because their standards will be on a supernatural level and will hold out for the vampire until they come to the realization that vampires do not exist and they will never get back the chances they passed up while waiting. My heart goes out to all the men seeking for true love but can't find it because they are being turned down for vampires. If you care about the future of this country, you will not read Twilight.

2 comments:

Front Porch Friend. said...

Rock on, bff! Just keep listening to the advice of those 'well-read' people and you will go far in life! No vampires for my daughters!

Ginny Weasley-Potter said...

Thanks for the thoughts. Although, if I were you I would be carefull with my opinion around certain friends.